Monday 29 August 2011

Into the ring!

My first show in the ring was on Saturday morning. I sat in the bus adjusting my hair and decorating my eyelids with little sparkly beads. Luke and most of the cast were already standing out at the concessions stand, fully costumed and set for the show. Mary, like me, was no where to be seen. We both emerged from our trailers at about the same time and grinned at each other, exchanging comments of first show nerves. We lifted up the tent walls and carefully coaxed our neatly costumed and hatted heads under the tent, trying as we did so, to not to catch our hair in the wires or any the other random assortment of hair attacking obstacles to get past between there and the ring.

Briar was in the tent stretching. She had headphones in as the pre show music blared out of the sound system. Damo and Nick were over by the sound desk checking the mics for the Ring Master's introduction. Mary set abut standing her slack-line up, and I went through what was to become my standard full body warm up for stilt acrobatics and trapeze.

The ring mat was bright yellow and cool to the touch as I lay out, stretching. I tried to calm my mind, it was a mess of pre-show nerves, excitement and slight fear about working on a different aerial rig to normal. I looked around at the bright red sets and tried to picture what it would be like in 35 minutes. I took a deep breath - it was almost time to put stilts on and head out for pre-show entertainment. Quietly beaming with excitement- I thought to myself, that I really had no idea what to expect from this show - or the tour to come. Now, looking back, that thought seems ridiculous.. No idea was about the understatement of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment